Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Grapes of Wrath

March 10, 824 AD
Arria Cassius Melitria

Dear Diary,
Now that you have gotten to know me a bit more, I will tell you a bit more about where I live. I live in the Byzantine Empire, in an area that has stayed a part of the same empire since I was born. If you walked down my road, you would see a few other farms with orchards, olive groves, pastures, and gardens. There is also a small bubbling creek near my home that my children cool off in when it's hot outside. The road that I live on is made of packed-down dirt and pebbles, so when it rains, like it is today, the road becomes an immense mud trail, so when my children go outside to play, they always return with dripping wet, muddy clothing.
Every now and then, my family and I will travel into Constantinople for some entertainment. Sometimes, we will watch the jousting matches, and other times we will listen to the street musicians. When we are at our house, we might walk down the road to the neighbor's house to pet the farm animals. My daughter, Julia Livilla especially likes to play with the piglets. We also have a neighbor who has an olive grove, and they allow us to take some of their olives home with us.
I remember when I was born, the Frank Charlamagne was crowned during the reign of Irene. It's funny how even now, I still remember that. But, it was big deal in my family at that time. We had a big celebration and guests came over to be joyous. I think that Charlamagne would be considered a very important person in our times and in my family.
I have another story to tell you. Today, my husband and I were pressing the grapes in the barrel. When most of the grapes were liquified, I turned to see two small eyes peering at me from over the side of the barrel. I knew it was a goat- probably one of the neighbor's that had escaped. Right when I was about to shoo it away, it geared itself up and jumped right into the barrel! Wine went everywhere and it was a big mess! But, it was fun!
Sincerely,
Arria Cassius Melitria

3 comments:

  1. Marina, Amazing blog! The story is great and sort of random. That's ok though, because life can be very random, at least, mine can be. Your descriptions of everyday life seemed practically real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good! It seems like this was a true story, because you describe everything as if you were actually there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. I liked the wine incident. I thought your blog entry was very well written. :)

    ReplyDelete